There are two ways of releasing findings online – the smart way or the dumb way.
The smart way is to release only the findings, but not the data behind those findings. This protects you from criticism and prevents mistakes from being found. All that exists are your findings and since no-one else has your data, it’s harder to argue about any mistakes that you’ve made.
The dumb way is to release your findings and your data. This means that anyone can look through your data and find mistakes that invalidate all of your work. It’s more honest, but opens you up for a potential world of pain.
I’m going for the dumb way because I’d rather that we get the discussion of Kickstarter video game delivery rates correct than hide my work. I’m sure that there are some mistakes (for instance, the conversion from Google Docs to Excel screwed up a lot of date information that I’ve done my best to fix, but maybe I’ve missed some) or that some backers or developers will feel that I’ve incorrectly classified their project. All that I can say for those cases is that I tried to get it right.
A lot of Kickstarted video game projects make it hard to work out their status. Hiding all project information behind backer-only updates or not posting up a link to your finished game on your ‘official’ game website didn’t make this process easier. Plus any caveats at the bottom of my other post on this information.
Anyway, here’s the data. There are two sheets – the Data, which is the list of all projects, and the Analysis, which shows how I got to my findings.
At the very least, the list might be of interest to those wondering the status of some projects, or those wanting to have a wade through the drama of the projects that were cancelled and how backers reacted.